1. HDA shall have power and is hereby authorized to issue from time to time its negotiable notes and bonds in conformity with applicable provisions of the Uniform Commercial Code in such principal amount as HDA shall determine to be necessary to provide sufficient funds for achieving any of its corporate purposes, including the payment of interest on notes and bonds of HDA, establishment of reserves to secure such notes and bonds, and all other expenditures of HDA incident to and necessary or convenient to carry out its corporate purposes and powers. In accordance with § 2.2-5002, such power to issue notes and bonds shall not be restricted or limited solely because the interest on the notes and bonds is subject, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, to federal income taxes.
2. HDA shall have the power, from time to time, to issue (i) notes to renew notes and (ii) bonds, to pay notes, including the interest thereon and, whenever it deems refunding expedient, to refund any bonds by the issuance of new bonds, whether the bonds to be refunded have or have not matured, and to issue bonds partly to refund bonds then outstanding and partly for any of its corporate purposes. The refunding bonds may be (i) exchanged for the bonds to be refunded or (ii) sold and the proceeds applied to the purchase, redemption or payment of such bonds.
3. Except as may otherwise be expressly provided by HDA, every issue of its notes and bonds shall be general obligations of HDA payable out of any revenues or moneys of HDA, subject only to any agreements with the holders of particular notes or bonds pledging any particular revenues.
B. The notes and bonds shall be authorized by resolution or resolutions of HDA, shall bear such date or dates and shall mature at such time or times as such resolution or resolutions may provide, except that no bond shall mature more than fifty years from the date of its issue. The bonds may be issued as serial bonds payable in annual installments or as term bonds or as a combination thereof. The notes and bonds shall bear interest at such rate or rates, be in such denominations, be in such form, either coupon or registered, carry such registration privileges, be executed in such manner, be payable in such medium of payment, at such place or places, and be subject to such terms of redemption as such resolution or resolutions may provide. The notes and bonds of HDA may be sold by HDA, at public or private sale, at such price or prices as HDA shall determine.
2. Pledging all or any part of the assets of HDA, including mortgages and obligations securing the same, to secure the payment of the notes or bonds or of any issue of notes or bonds, subject to such agreements with noteholders or bondholders as may then exist;
7. The procedure, if any, by which the terms of any contract with noteholders or bondholders may be amended or abrogated, the amount of notes or bonds the holders of which must consent thereto; and the manner in which such consent may be given;
9. Vesting in a trustee or trustees such property, rights, powers and duties in trust as HDA may determine, which may include any or all of the rights, powers and duties of the trustee appointed by the bondholders pursuant to this chapter and limiting or abrogating the right of the bondholders to appoint a trustee under this chapter or limiting the rights, powers and duties of such trustee;
10. Defining the acts or omissions to act which shall constitute a default in the obligations and duties of HDA to the holders of the notes or bonds and providing for the rights and remedies of the holders of the notes or bonds in the event of such default, including as a matter of right the appointment of a receiver; provided, however, that such rights and remedies shall not be inconsistent with the general laws of the Commonwealth and the other provisions of this chapter;
D. Any pledge made by HDA shall be valid and binding from the time when the pledge is made; HDA’s interest, then existing or thereafter obtained, in the revenues, moneys, mortgage loans, receivables, contract rights or other property or proceeds so pledged shall immediately be subject to the lien of such pledge without any physical delivery or further act, and the lien of such pledge shall be valid and binding as against all parties having claims of any kind in tort, contract or otherwise against HDA, irrespective of whether such parties have notice thereof. Neither the resolution nor any other instrument by which a pledge is created need be recorded, nor shall any filing be required with respect thereto.
F. HDA, subject to such agreements with noteholders or bondholders as may then exist, shall have power out of any funds available therefor to purchase notes or bonds of HDA, which shall thereupon be cancelled unless HDA shall provide written notification to the trustee pursuant to subsection J, at a price not exceeding:
2. If the notes or bonds are not then redeemable, the redemption price applicable on the first date after such purchase upon which the notes or bonds become subject to redemption plus accrued interest to such date.
G. In the discretion of HDA, the bonds may be secured by a trust indenture by and between HDA and a corporate trustee, which may be any trust company or bank having the power of a trust company within or without the Commonwealth. Such trust indenture may contain such provisions for protecting and enforcing the rights and remedies of the bondholders as may be reasonable and proper and not in violation of law, including covenants setting forth the duties of HDA in relation to the exercise of its corporate powers and the custody, safeguarding and application of all moneys. HDA may provide by such trust indenture for the payment of the proceeds of the bonds and the revenues to the trustee under such trust indenture or other depository, and for the method of disbursement thereof, with such safeguards and restrictions as it may determine. All expenses incurred in carrying out such trust indenture may be treated as a part of the operating expenses of HDA. If the bonds shall be secured by a trust indenture, the bondholders shall have no authority to appoint a separate trustee to represent them.
H. Whether or not the notes and bonds are of such form and character as to be negotiable instruments under the terms of the Uniform Commercial Code, the notes and bonds are hereby made negotiable instruments within the meaning of and for all the purposes of the Uniform Commercial Code, subject only to the provisions of the notes and bonds for registration.
I. In case any of the commissioners or officers of HDA whose signatures appear on any notes or bonds or coupons shall cease to be such commissioners or officers before the delivery of such notes or bonds, such signatures shall, nevertheless, be valid and sufficient for all purposes, the same as if such commissioners or officers had remained in office until such delivery.
J. Notwithstanding any statute or case law to the contrary, the purchase or actual or constructive ownership by HDA of any of its notes or bonds with the intent that such notes or bonds remain outstanding, as evidenced by written notification from HDA to the trustee under the resolution or trust indenture, shall not cause such notes or bonds or the indebtedness evidenced thereby to be canceled or extinguished, subject to such terms and conditions as may be set forth in the written notification and except as may be otherwise provided in the resolution or trust indenture.
1972, c. 830; 1978, c. 189; 1996, c. 298; 1998, c. 442.