The Center, under the direction of the executive director, shall have the following powers and duties:
1. To develop a degree program in energy production and conservation research at the master’s level in conjunction with the State Council on Higher Education;
2. To develop and provide programs of continuing education and in-service training for persons who work in the field of coal or other energy research, development or production;
3. To operate in conjunction with other departments of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, including but not limited to the Department of Mining Engineering;
4. To conduct research in the fields of coal, coal utilization, migrating natural gases such as methane and propane, and other energy related work;
5. To collect and maintain data on energy production, development and utilization;
6. To foster the utilization of research information, discoveries and data;
7. To coordinate the functions of the Center with the energy research facilities to prevent duplication of effort;
8. To apply for and accept grants from the United States government and the state government and agencies and instrumentalities thereof and from any other source in carrying out the purposes of this article. To these ends, the Center shall have the power to comply with conditions and execute such agreements as may be necessary;
9. To accept gifts, bequests, and any other thing of value to be used for carrying out the purposes of this article;
10. To receive, administer and expend all funds and other assistance made available to the Center for the purposes of carrying out this article;
11. To consult with the Division of Energy of the Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy in the preparation of the Virginia Energy Plan pursuant to § 67-201; and
12. To do all things necessary or convenient for the proper administration of this article.
1977, c. 543; 2006, c. 939.